This easy and moist mocha butterscotch bundt cake is so simple to make and absolutely delicious. A semi-homemade cake made with pudding and cake mix, it only takes a few minutes of prep work, but it tastes like you spent hours making it! Perfect easy dessert recipe for any occasion!
This tasty cake recipe is inspired by a friend of a friend – a dear friend of mine made our favorite chocolate chip pistachio pudding cake for her small group bible study, and ever since then, another lady in their small group has experimented with different variations of the same base recipe, simply because that chocolate chip pistachio pudding cake is so doggone good. (Melissa, I’ve never met you, but as a fellow experimenter in the kitchen, we are kindred spirits!)
Melissa made a caramel & mocha version of this super moist bundt cake – hellllloo! That sounds amazing! Our grocery store didn’t carry caramel pudding, so I decided to give butterscotch a try, and wow. Yum.
I really love this base bundt cake recipe – it really is so delicious! Melissa, thanks for the inspiration on this cake – it’s a winner!
The prep work for this cake is very minimal – other than the bake time, you can prep this thing in less than 10 minutes. No joke! (So perfect for an easy dessert recipe that also seems a little fancy!)
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Here are the kitchen materials you’ll need:
- A stand mixer (with whisk attachment) or hand mixer
- Liquid measuring cup
- Bundt cake pan
- Small saucepan for the stove top – to make the mocha ganache
- Spoon for stirring and drizzling on the ganache
Step 1: Mix cake ingredients & bake
Since this cake is “semi-homemade” – you use a box of cake mix, pudding mixes, and then add in some wet ingredients – the prep work for the cake part is only a few minutes, especially if you’re using a stand mixer!
Step 2: Make Mocha Ganache
After the cake is finished baking (or, even while it’s baking you can do this step), pour the chocolate chips, whipping cream, and instant coffee into a small sauce pan. Turn on low-medium heat on the stove top, stirring occasionally, and let the chocolate chips melt into the cream to create the ganache. This shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. Once the chocolate chips are fully melted, the ganache is finished. (Yes, it’s that easy to make a fancy frosting.)
Step 3: Drizzle Mocha Ganache on Cake
Remove the bundt cake from the cake pan and set on a plate. Let it cool from the oven until it’s warm to the touch – you just don’t want it piping hot when you drizzle on the ganache. (You can also wait until it’s fully cooled to pour on the ganache – that’s fine, too). Using a regular table spoon (as in: your silverware), drizzle the ganache on the cake.
Pro tip/baking hack: if you want a really, really smooth drizzle, let the ganache cool a bit and then pour it into a plastic Ziplock bag, cut the tip off of one end, and then squeeze the ganache out onto the cake. I’ve done it both ways for this cake – with a spoon and with the plastic bag. You’ll definitely get a smoother finish using the plastic bag, but if you’re short on time, the spoon method is just fine!
I’d just like to take a moment to let our mouths water. Wow-ee. Yuuuuummy.
Step 4: Sprinkle on the Toffee
You’re almost ready to eat this thing! Now’s the time to sprinkle on some toffee bits, and then you’re good to go! Isn’t she a beaut?!
Look at that gorgeous butterscotch color! Looks almost as rich as it tastes!
I plan to continue experimenting with combinations for this particular cake recipe – it is just so good, and it’s so easy! This is such a fool-proof cake recipe, and it’s amazing how simple it is to create a beautiful and fancy-looking dessert!
While these flavors kind of seem “fall-ish” to me, you could easily make this cake for any occasion – just having casual company over for a meal, a baby or bridal shower, a potluck, or a cozy dinner party. No matter what, you’ll certainly bring smiles to the table when you make this delicious butterscotch cake!
Want to remember this recipe for later?! Be sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!
Easy and Moist Mocha Butterscotch Bundt Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 3.4 oz boxes butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 c club soda
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 c semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ c whipping cream
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/4 c toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pour cake mix and pudding mixes into a bowl. Using a stand or a hand mixer, begin mixing the dry ingredients together and slowly blend in the club soda.
- Pour in the vegetable oil and continue to mix.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing between additions.
- Pour cake batter into well-greased bundt cake pan and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes (go ahead and check at 42-43 minutes with a toothpick; if it comes out clean, remove from oven).
- While cake is baking, prepare chocolate ganache by pouring whipping cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until chocolate chips are completely melted and you've made a thick chocolate sauce - about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once cake comes out of the oven, allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes in the cake pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once the cake is cool (it doesn't need to be completely cool - it can still be warm), transfer to a cake plate or a platter and drizzle chocolate ganache on top - you can drizzle it on with a regular table spoon (silverware) while the ganache is still hot, or if you want a cleaner drizzle, let the ganache cool a bit, pour it into a plastic Ziplock bag, cut a tip out of the bag, and drizzle the ganache out of the bag.
- Sprinkle the toffee on top to give it a finished look!
- Serve pieces by themselves or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy with family and friends!