This homemade dark chocolate cocoa mix is easy to make and absolutely delicious! Make it for you & your family to enjoy your own cup of hot chocolate or to pack up and give away as mason jar gifts for Christmas!
This rich and creamy dark hot chocolate mix makes for a delicious cup of cocoa on a chilly winter day! It also makes for simple & thoughtful homemade mason jar gifts – perfect for neighbors, teachers, coworkers, and friends!
Here’s why you’ll love this DIY dark chocolate cocoa mix recipe:
- It’s a rich cocoa with with a great dark chocolate flavor. I have a milk chocolate hot cocoa mix recipe that I really love, too, but this dark chocolate one has an even deeper chocolatey taste! (True chocolate lovers will really enjoy this mix!)
- You can easily mix it with hot water vs. hot milk. That’s one of the best things about this recipe! Most hot cocoa mixes require you to add milk, but because this mix has milk powder in it, you can just use water. So, you don’t have to go through the hassle of heating up milk in a saucepan. If you want an extra creamy texture, you can add it to whole milk, but it’s not necessary to enjoy the taste.
- The mix is so easy to throw together. Four ingredients whisked together in a mixing bowl and you’re done!
- It makes a GREAT holiday gift packed up in a mason jar! You can make a batch in bulk and scoop out into mason jars for simple handmade Christmas gifts.
This is the best hot chocolate mix to enjoy on a cold day during the holiday season! Top off with mini marshmallows and you’ve got yourself a yummy winter treat!
- Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Powdered Coffee Creamer
- Powdered Milk (which you should be able to find on the baking aisle of most grocery stores)
How to make this Homemade Dark Chocolate Cocoa Mix
Ready for this?
Gather your ingredients
(Yep, just four dry ingredients)
Mix them together in a large mixing bowl
Scoop out into mason jars for a gift or enjoy your own mug of hot chocolate by adding 6-7 tablespoons of mix into a cup of hot water.
EASY, I tell ya!
Add in some different flavors according to your personal preferences:
- Crushed candy canes or Andes creme de menth chocolate chips
- Make it double chocolate! Stir in even more cocoa powder (regular) or some chocolate chips.
- Toffee bits
- Salted caramel bits
- Whipped cream 😁
- And you can make it even richer by mixing this with some hot whole milk vs. water, but it’s not necessary!
Want more Christmas-inspired delicious recipes?
- Easy, Rich & Creamy Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
Homemade Dark Chocolate Cocoa Mix (the BEST hot chocolate mix!)
- 3/4 c unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder I use Hershey's Special Dark
- 1 1/4 c powdered milk
- 1 c powdered coffee creamer
- 1 3/4 c powdered sugar
- Whisk ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in 6-7 tbsp of mix into a mug of about 8oz hot water (this is the standard size coffee mug). Enjoy!