This delicious slow cooker healthy pumpkin chili is one of the best chili recipes you’ll find! Made with lean ground beef, beans, and veggies, it’s hearty and packed with flavor!
Recipe updated 2019: I’ve recently updated this recipe to really pack in the *healthy* flavor. I used to use packets of chili seasoning for ease, but once I realized I had everything I needed to make a DELICIOUS chili blend in my spice cabinet, I stopped using the packets & started using the spices I already had on hand. Doing so also cut the preservatives! 🙂
It’s time for some chili, folks!
But this isn’t any kind of chili…it’s pumpkin chili!
I promise, it doesn’t taste like pumpkin, and it’s not sweet. The pumpkin just gives it some extra “oompf” and adds even more nutritious value to it. This chili is awesome – it’s full of flavor, full of heartiness, and it’s pretty healthy!
And please don’t tell the state of Texas, but it’s full of beans, too. Putting beans in my chili is probably the only un-Texan thing I do. Dear Lone Star State, please forgive me.
Both your time and your taste buds will thank you for this recipe – really easy prep and absolutely delicious! Oh, and your hips will thank you, too – it’s just so darn good for ya. 🙂
Serve topped with cheese, or perhaps over baked potatoes with some cheese and sour cream! This chili freezes well – you can make a double batch and freeze half of it for later. I promise, you’ll be wanting more of this pumpkin chili anyway!
This has definitely become my go-to recipe any time we want chili around our house.
Go make this and enjoy with family & friends around your dinner table!
Want s’more recipes to fall in love with this season? Check out these additional soup & chili ideas for more delicious recipes!
Love this recipe idea and want to remember it later? Be sure to save it to your favorite Pinterest board!
- 1 lb lean ground meat beef or turkey
- 1 yellow or sweet onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 15 oz cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling!
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2.5 c beef broth
- Saute meat in large skillet over medium heat until mostly browned (but not fully cooked).
- While some of the meat is still a little pink, add the onion and the bell pepper and saute until meat is fully cooked and vegetables are getting soft.
- Add garlic and saute for one more minute.
- Add spices to meat mixture. Stir until spices evenly coat the meat and veggies. Remove skillet from heat.
- Pour contents of skillet into 5 qt. slow cooker.
- Add beans, pumpkin, and tomatoes. Pour broth on top. Stir everything in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours (or longer if you'd prefer).
- Serve topped with cheese or over baked potatoes and sour cream!