Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Soup will give you a little kick in your mouth and will make your tummy smile. The chipotle peppers + the jalapeno give it a bite, but the real secret is in the sauce: the dollop of sour cream mixed with lime and cumin is absolutely DELICIOUS.
You can use light sour cream and light pork sausage to make this soup less calorie-heavy (that’s what I do), and believe me, it doesn’t compromise the flavor one bit. This soup is so easy to make (and it’s really cheap to make, too!), and it makes DIVINE leftovers.
It’s also really easy to double (or even triple!) the recipe if you’re wanting to serve a group of people. I’ve definitely made this a number of times when we’ve had several mouths to feed – just serve it with a side of cornbread and a salad, and you’ve got yourself a cheap and absolutely delightful gourmet meal!
- 1 lb light pork sausage
- 1/2 yellow or sweet onion diced
- ½ jalapeno de-seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 15 oz cans black beans drained
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce finely chopped + 1 tbsp of adobo sauce from the can
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 c low fat sour cream
- 2 tsp cumin
- Lime juice from one lime
- Cook sausage in soup pot until only halfway pink. Add onion and jalapeno and saute until onion and jalapeno are soft and meat is fully cooked – about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a couple more minutes.
- Add beans, chopped chile, adobo sauce, and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sour cream, cumin, and lime.
- Remove soup from heat, ladle into bowls, and add a dollop of sour cream mixture into each bowl of soup and stir until well-blended.
- Serve with a side of cornbread!