These BBQ pork sandwiches are great to serve for a crowd!
I would not recommend making these for a party of two, unless we’re talking about a party of two lions or two elephants.
This recipe makes a lot, which is just perfect for a group gathering!
A perfect summer meal in the backyard or around the table with slices of watermelon, salad, cheesy potato casserole, and a cold glass of sweet tea or lemonade!
To make them even better, serve ’em up with these delicious spicy refrigerator pickles!
- 3-4 lbs pork shoulder or pork tenderloin
- 1 12 oz can dark soda Root Beer, Coke, or Dr. Pepper are all fine
- 1 18 oz bottle Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
- If your slab of pork has a side with a large slab of fat on it (sounds appetizing, huh?), cut it off before you put the pork in the slow cooker.
- Pour can of soda over pork, cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Check after 6 hours; if the pork isn't incredibly tender, let it cook on low for another hour or two.
- Once the pork is tender, shred using two forks (you can do this inside of the slow cooker - the pork should be tender enough that it'll shred apart very easily).
- There should still be some liquid in the slow cooker after shredding, but if still got quite a bit of standing liquid even after the pork has all been shredded, go ahead and drain some of the liquid.
- Add the BBQ sauce to the pork inside the slow cooker (and stir it all together) about 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns with pickles and sliced cheese!