Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup: the lazy way to make an absolutely delicious classic casserole.
Wait. I mean the cozy way to make an absolutely delicious classic casserole!
Maybe it’s both lazy and cozy. Either way, it’s good, and you’re going to want to try it!
You chop up a few things, pour in a few cans of some things, add some seasonings, and, well, that’s about it! You’ll burn more calories eating this thing than you will making it.
I know, wouldn’t that be awesome?
This is almost the exact same recipe as my casserole, but with the soup version, you don’t use all the tortillas and cheese you typically would use to make this. (Which probably makes you wonder, “Then why would I even eat this?”, but believe me, it’s delicious and such a warm treat on a fall day!)
In case you’re ever wondering what goes on behind the scenes when I’m taking photos of these recipes, here you have it. It’s a family affair. When I say to Aaron, “Hey! I need your help taking food photos for my blog,” Gipper thinks I say, “Hey! I need your help eating food for the dog.”
Every time, Gip, every time.
And normally my 2.5-year-old isn’t sitting so sweetly and patiently – normally she’s got her nose in whatever I’ve made to ensure it smells good. She’s my Smeller in Chief. She and Gip make a great team.
Top the soup with tortilla chips to bring in some of the taste of the casserole. Yum!
There you have it, friends! Gather up some folks, get some bowls, and sit down to enjoy this yummy soup together!
Want to remember this delicious soup recipe?! Be sure to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!
- 1 lb raw chicken breast*
- 1/2 c diced sweet onion
- 3 c chicken broth
- 1 10.5 oz can cream chicken soup
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles undrained
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 c sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips cheese, and diced avocado for topping
- Place chicken breast, onion, broth, canned soups, tomatoes, and seasonings in a slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 2 hours. After two hours, add in bell pepper, re-cover the slow cooker, and cook on high for another 2 hours. A few minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream until it dissolves in the soup and shred the chicken in the slow cooker using two forks.
- Serve soup in bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and diced avocado to your liking!